Synopsis: Set in the Tang Dynasty, Ran Yan is a noblewoman who becomes interested in forensic science after her Mother’s mysterious suicide and begins to solve murder cases. She meets a judicial official and an assassin by chance and finds true love through the course of searching for the truth.
- Luring the snake out of the hole: A scheme to lure the enemy out of the shadows/ hiding place
- Brother Huai Yin: In the book he is a monk
- Coming of the cups ceremony: It is a key part of the traditional wedding ceremony. Jin is another character for the gourd (as shown in the drama) which is halved and during the ceremony they are drunken out of and joined together again. It was the ancient version of the crossing wine cup ceremony in a chinese wedding ceremony.
- The weeds grow incessantly, the dews on it’s leaves shine brightly…: This is a famous love poem in the Classic of Poetry and was written somewhere during the western Zhou dynasty and the Spring and Autumn period.
- Received the Imperial decree to head to battle, There is no reunion date for this separation: This is one of my favorite tragic love poems. The title roughly translates to Goodbye wife, written by Su Wu on the eve of his departure to battle. The first four lines describes the love between he and his wife, like We married at adolescence, there is no question about our love, Happiness halts from tonight onwards, We must treasure the time we have… The 5-8th lines talk about biding farewell at night and the 9th to 12th lines talk about their separation at dawn. The final two lines are extremely famous: If I am alive I will return, If I die let us remember this forever