Synopsis: Set in the Tang Dynasty, Ran Yu is a noblewoman who becomes interested in forensic science after her Mother’s mysterious suicide and begins to solve murder cases. She meets a judicial official and an assassin by chance and finds true love through the course of searching for the truth.
- Emperor Gaozu of Tang: Father of the Emperor of this drama. He established the Tang dynasty after overthrowing Emperor Yang of Sui. If you’ve seen the drama The Legend of Dugu, the evil second sister is his Mother. He was born from nobility but with the gradually strained relationship between the Li (his clan) and the Imperial Clan he decided to overthrow the Sui dynasty. In historical texts it was recorded it was out of fear of his life.
- Pass away/ leave: Reason why I was unsure was because the terms for pass away and leave can be the same in chinese. And the chinese subtitles did not specially identify which scenario it was so I left it like that.
- Book of divine pivot: Otherwise known as the Lingshu Jing: Was an ancient chinese medical text compiled in the 1st century BCE. No versions of it before the 12th century has survived as it was believed that they were destroyed during the Warring States Period. The reason why the Chinese Government has a copy now was because a scholar named Shi Song who discovered that the country had lost this book and donated his copy to the government from his collection. The earliest of this book is now preserved in the National Library of China and was the one from 1155 BCE. There may be an earlier version of it in Korea as the Goryeo Kingdom (918 – 1390s) had once given a copy to the Chinese Government during the Northern Song dynasty which was also destroyed.
- Jueyingyu acupoint: This is a stimulus point in the middle of the upper back.
- The Hu people/ foreign people: This is the collective name for all foreigners but sometimes are used to describe the tribes residing in the grasslands (Inner and Outer Mongolia)